Barcelonesa has obtained organic certification from the CCPAE to be able to import and distribute psyllium.
This certification guarantees that the products have been produced according to organic farming standards, and that there has been control throughout the process, from production to sale.
But what is psyllium and why can it be a good option for gluten-free products? We tell you in this article.
Psyllium: what is it and what are its main benefits?
Psyllium is a natural dietary fibre that comes from a plant native to India and Iran.
Its use is becoming increasingly widespread due to its multiple benefits for consumers, which we will see below:
- Suitable for vegetarians and coeliacs: psyllium contains no gluten or additives, making it a good choice for vegetarians and coeliacs. It usually comes in powder form and can be diluted in liquids such as water or juice.
- It can help to lose weight: its high water retention capacity, and therefore its increased volume, increases the feeling of satiety, so it is very useful for people who are trying to lose weight or avoiding overeating due to stress or anxiety.
- It lowers blood sugar levels: it can help control the glycaemic response to meals and sometimes reduce insulin and blood sugar levels, reducing the risk of developing diabetes. Several studies, such as this one published in the Journal of Diabetes and its Complications, show this.
- It can help control cholesterol: according to this scientific article in the Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, fibre foods such as wheat bran or psyllium have an impact on lowering cholesterol due to their laxative effect. In another paper in the journal Plas One, it is claimed that supplementation with 6g. of psyllium a day for a period of 6 weeks was able to reduce LDL cholesterol (considered as bad cholesterol) by 6%.
- May help prevent and treat gastrointestinal diseases: according to this study, fibre may be useful in the treatment of gastrointestinal diseases such as constipation, diarrhoea, irritable bowel syndrome, etc.
Fibrean: the natural fibre that replaces additives
At Barcelonesa Food Solutions – Grup Barcelonesa’s food division – we have been researching more natural and healthier solutions for the food industry for a long time.
In this search for alternatives, we came up with the Fibrean range of products, through which we distribute 100% natural vegetable fibres. Among these fibres is psyllium.
Fibrean provides the food industry with a natural and healthy option with many benefits, among which the following stand out:
- Reduction in the use of sugars and fats: which are intended to increase the sweetness of foods.
- Alternative to synthetic additives: necessary to achieve certain flavour and texture characteristics in the product, but which are not completely healthy (phosphates, gums, carrageenans…).
- No need to use substances that cause allergies or intolerances in a large part of the population: as is the case of gluten for coeliacs.
At Barcelonesa Food Solutions we have taken advantage of the benefits of Fibrean for different applications:
- Vegan alternatives to dairy and meat products.
- The meat industry.
- The dairy industry and vegetable drinks.
- Baking and pastries.
- Sauces and creams.
In this way, it is possible to substitute ingredients classified with E-numbers, if the manufacturer so wishes.
If you would like more information about our Fibrean fibre range or about psyllium, please do not hesitate to contact us.