In construction, it is very important to have suitable coatings that provide longevity to the products and a good aesthetic finish, among other properties.
In this post, we are going to focus on epoxy systems from Spolchemie, our supplier for the construction-specific coatings sector. This chemical manufacturer is based in the Czech Republic and is backed by more than 60 years of experience in manufacturing epoxy products.
APPLICATIONS OF EPOXY SOLUTIONS IN CONSTRUCTION
Here are some examples of the application of Spolchemie’s products in different construction elements, so that you can get a broader idea of their usefulness:
- Penetration and bonding systems: the purpose of these systems is to trap dust on the surface, expel air bubbles from the surface layer and create an adhesive connection between the base concrete surface and the next layer.
- Filling and repair materials: In this case, the aim is to correct unevenness or irregularities of the surface, as well as to fill potholes, joints or cracks. The application is done by mixing epoxy resin (used as a bonding agent) and dry silica sand in various mixing ratios.
- Protective coatings: the purpose is to protect the substrate (e.g. concrete) against weathering, water, chemicals or corrosion.
- Decorative and self-levelling floors: The aim here is to create a decorative and functional top layer. One of the peculiarities of this type of epoxy system is that it has the ability to self-levelling when applied to the surface, making the job of achieving a uniform and level floor much easier.
- Special anti-static floors: the purpose of epoxy systems in these floors is to protect against static electricity that can be generated in operating theatres, hospitals, dental surgeries, electronic production plants or explosion hazardous areas.
- Special anti-slip floors: by using epoxy solutions on floors, anti-slip properties are achieved to prevent slip and fall accidents.
- Special-purpose materials: in this case, the aim is to achieve adhesion between various types of materials, e.g. between concrete and metal in the construction of a bridge.
- Stone carpet system: this is a special system for creating stone carpets (either natural or artificial) and can be used as a binder for indoor and outdoor stone.
WHERE ARE EPOXY SOLUTIONS USED?
First of all, epoxy systems are not to be confused with epoxy resins. Epoxy resins are the raw materials that customers use to create the systems. Instead, Spolchemie’s epoxy solutions come ready formulated and ready to use in a variety of applications, such as:
- Powder coatings.
- Protective coatings.
- Decorative coatings.
- Special coatings.
- Composites (aerospace, wind energy, transport, automotive…).
- Construction and Civil Engineering
As you can see, it has a wide variety of applications. And, although they are mainly used for industrial and commercial purposes, they are also used in the construction of modern civil buildings.
The main uses of epoxy systems in construction are:
- Flooring: or self-levelling floors. For special anti-static floors (which prevent the generation of electrostatic discharges) and for decorative purposes.
- Coatings: can be used as floor coatings, to add protection to concrete or metal, as chemical resistant coatings, pipe coatings, adhesive primers and in clear lacquers and varnishes.
- Sealants and binders: to create polymer concrete and polymer mortar.
- Special applications: epoxy systems are also used as adhesives, chemical anchors, in anti-slip surfaces, in systems for nuclear installations, flooring for the food industry and hospitals (because they meet high hygiene requirements), bridge coatings and for chemical resistant surfaces.
Some of these applications can be seen in floors in: commercial areas, showrooms, warehouses, hospitals, car park floors, industrial halls, as well as in storage halls and schools.
BENEFITS OF EPOXY SOLUTIONS
As for the benefits of epoxy systems, we could start by highlighting their mechanical properties:
- They exhibit good dimensional stability over a wide temperature range (between -70ºC and 200ºC).
- They have a high resistance
- They offer great durability of colour, smoothness and gloss on the treated surface.
- They are scratch resistant.
- They adhere very well to concrete as well as to other materials such as metals, glass or wood.
- They have good adhesion between coats.
- They show low shrinkage on curing.
In addition to this, they have excellent chemical resistance to wear and tear, so they can have a long life in floors and coverings. Thus, they are capable of extending the service life of traditional materials.
When these solutions are applied in construction or civil engineering, it allows the end customer to have a seamless floor. This avoids costly maintenance, as it can be cleaned and repaired in a very simple way.
Moreover, the overall construction costs are lower, as only a thin layer is needed.
Another benefit is its ease of use.
Last but not least, some of them are solvent-free and water-based, which makes them more environmentally friendly.
DO YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT OUR EPOXY SYSTEMS?
What do you think about Spolchemie’s epoxy building solutions?
If you are interested and would like more information about this range of products, or need advice on which epoxy system is right for you, we would be happy to talk to you.
Simply contact us by clicking on the ‘More Info’ button below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.